Wednesday, June 10, 2009

A Wonderful But Rarely Sung Hymn by John Newton

Without a doubt, "Amazing Grace" is John Newton's most famous hymn. Almost every church knows and sings that hymn (as well they should!). But it seems that many of his other hymns are largely neglected, which is a shame because they are beautiful texts. Not to mention, most of them are in the Common Meter and thus very sing-able to familiar tunes.

Here is one such hymn that is rarely sung but should be added to all our churches' song libraries. It can be sung to the tune of "O God, Our Help in Ages Past" or "O, For a Thousand Tongues to Sing" or even "Amazing Grace." It is a wonderfully reassuring hymn that should provide God's people with gospel comfort.

How Sweet the Name of Jesus Sounds
John Newton, 1725-1807

How sweet the name of Jesus sounds
In a believer's ear!
It soothes his sorrows, heals his wounds,
And drives away his fear.

It makes the wounded spirit whole
And calms the troubled breast;
'Tis manna to the hungry soul,
And to the weary rest.

Dear name! the rock on which I build,
My shield and hiding place;
My never-failing treasury filled
With boundless stores of grace.

By Thee my prayers acceptance gain,
Altho' with sin defiled;
Satan accuses me in vain,
And I am owned a child.

Jesus! my Shepherd, Husband, Friend,
My Prophet, Priest, and King;
My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End,
Accept the praise I bring.

Weak is the effort of my heart,
And cold my warmest thought;
But when I see Thee as Thou art,
I'll praise Thee as I ought.

'Till then I would Thy love proclaim,
With ev'ry fleeting breath;
And may the music of Thy name
Refresh my soul in death.