Tuesday, August 27, 2013

No Squishy Love (Part 2)

Timothy George has written a follow-up article, No Squishy Love (Part II), in response to all of the reactions from his previous First Things column, No Squishy Love, which was about the Presbyterian Church (USA)'s decision not to include "In Christ Alone" in its new hymnal.
I really did not intend to ignite a theological firestorm when I wrote my On the Square column, “No Squishy Love.” I simply pointed out that the committee preparing a new hymnal for the Presbyterian Church (USA) had voted to omit the much loved hymn “In Christ Alone,” because of its offending line, “Till on that cross as Jesus died / The wrath of God was satisfied.” I tried to place this decision in a wider historical context. But then “No Squishy Love” went viral, generating thousands of comments and spin-off articles not only on the Internet and in religious publications but also in USA Today, The Washington Post, and even The Economist! What’s going on here?

As a general rule, I do not respond to book reviews or blog chatter, but all this holy hullabaloo has prompted me to add a few comments to my original statement.
Read the entire article here