Friday, June 11, 2010

The Terms Are Fixed - Believe, Or Die

With Conscious Fear and Humble Awe
Samuel Davies, 1723-1761

With conscious fear and humble awe,
I view the terrors of the law;
Condemned at that tremendous bar,
I shrink, I tremble, and despair.

But hark, salvation in my ears,
Sounds sweetly and dispels my fears;
Jesus appears, and by His cross,
Fulfills His Father's broken laws.

Jesus, Savior! dearest name!
By Him alone salvation came;
Terror, destruction and despair,
Where e'er I look besides, appear.

Adam, my head and father fell,
And sunk his offspring down to hell;
And the dread sword of justice waits,
To guard me from the heavenly gates.

Unnumbered crimes of dreadful names
Call loud for everlasting flames;
And all the duties I have done,
Can neither merit, nor atone.

Yet weak and guilty as I am,
I fix my trust on Jesus' name.
Jesus, whose righteousness alone
Can for the deepest crimes atone.

On Him, my soul, on Him rely;
The terms are fixed - believe, or die.
Thee let the glorious gospel draw,
Or perish by the fiery law.