Friday, February 12, 2010

'Tis a Strange Mysterious Life

Kindle, Savior, in My Heart
John Newton, 1725-1807

Kindle, Savior, in my heart,
A flame of love divine;
Hear, for mine I trust Thou art,
And sure I would be Thine.
If my soul has felt Thy grace,
If to me Thy name is known,
Why should trifles fill the place
Due to Thyself alone?

'Tis a strange mysterious life
I live from day to day;
Light and darkness, peace and strife,
Bear an alternate sway.
When I think the battle won,
I have to fight it o'er again;
When I say I'm overthrown,
Relief I soon obtain.

Often at the mercy seat,
While calling on Thy name,
Swarms of evil thoughts I meet,
Which fill my soul with shame;
Agitated in my mind,
Like a feather in the air,
Can I thus a blessing find?
My soul, can this be prayer?

But when Christ, my Lord and Friend,
Is pleased to show His power;
All at once my troubles end,
And I've a golden hour.
Then I see His smiling face,
Feel the pledge of joys to come;
Often, Lord, repeat this grace,
Till Thou shalt call me home.