Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Metrical Version of Psalm 131

Here is the ESV text of Psalm 131:
131 1 O Lord, my heart is not lifted up;
my eyes are not raised too high;
I do not occupy myself with things
too great and too marvelous for me.
2 But I have calmed and quieted my soul,
like a weaned child with its mother;
like a weaned child is my soul within me.
3 O Israel, hope in the Lord
from this time forth and forevermore.
And here is my metered version of Psalm 131, which is in Common Meter and can be sung to the tunes of hymns like "Amazing Grace," "O God, Our Help in Ages Past," or "Alas and Did My Savior Bleed." 
O Lord, My Heart's Not Lifted Up (Psalm 131)
Justin Wainscott

O Lord, my heart's not lifted up;
My eyes aren't raised too high;
With things too great and marvelous,
I am not occupied. 

I've learned to calm my fretful soul,
And hush my clam'ring fears;
My soul is like a weaned, young child,
Content his mother's near.

So in the Lord let all the hope
Of God's redeemed now be,
From this time forth and evermore,
Through all eternity.