Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Name of Jesus

Consider the multitude of ways hymnwriters have incorporated the power and comfort of Jesus' name into many of our most beloved hymns.

Charles Wesley:
Jesus, the name that charms my fears,
That bids my sorrows cease;
‘Tis music in the sinner’s ears;
‘Tis life and health and peace.
John Newton:
How sweet the name of Jesus sounds
In a believer's ear!
It soothes his sorrows, heals his wounds,
And drives away his fear.
Edward Perronet:
All hail the pow’r of Jesus’ name!
Let angels prostrate fall;
Bring forth the royal diadem
And crown him Lord of all.
Frederick Whitfield:
There is a name I love to hear,
I love to sing its worth;
It sounds as music in my ear,
The sweetest name on earth.
Oh, how I love Jesus...
Luther Bridgers:
Jesus, Jesus, Jesus,
Sweetest name I know;
Fills my every longing,
Keeps me singing as I go.
Lydia Baxter:
Take the name of Jesus with you,
Child of sorrow and of woe;
It will joy and comfort give you,
Take it then where’er you go.
Precious name, O how sweet!
Hope of earth and joy of heav’n!