Thursday, January 14, 2010

Robert Murray M'Cheyne Quotes

I have been using the M'Cheyne Bible Reading Plan for a few years now (and enjoy it), but recently I have been reading some of M'Cheyne's sermons as well as Andrew Bonar's Life of Robert Murray M'Cheyne. I must admit that I did not know much about M'Cheyne the man before, but I have thoroughly benefited from reading about his life and highly recommend his sermons. Here are a few quotes from him to give you an idea of his humility, wisdom, faith, and Christ-centeredness.

Live near to God, and so all things will appear to you little in comparison with eternal realities.

For every look at self take ten looks at Christ.

Our soul should be a mirror of Christ; we should reflect every feature: for every grace in Christ there should be a counterpart in us.

It is a sure mark of grace to desire more.

Most of God's people are content to be saved from the hell that is without. They are not so anxious to be saved from the hell that is within.

Study universal holiness of life. Your whole usefulness depends on this, for your sermons last but an hour or two: your life preaches all week. If Satan can only make a covetous minister a lover of praise, of pleasure, of good eating, he has ruined your ministry. Give yourself to prayer, and get your texts, your thoughts, your words, from God.

If I could hear Christ praying for me in the next room, I would not fear a million enemies. Yet distance makes no difference. He is praying for me....